Thursday, April 5, 2012

Romance?

I can tell you that, to me, romance is not a candlelight dinner, red roses, and staring sickly sweet into each other's  eyes. It's not long walks on the beach at sunset. Nor is it having a glass of wine while lolling about on a bear skin rug in front of a fire. Yeah, just writing that kicked my gag reflex into high gear.

The way I see it, romance is as individualized as our fingerprints. Sure, I like it when Matt brings me flowers, but I don't have to have them to feel loved and desired. What I do like is when we go for a wander downtown and take goofy pictures. I love it when he does the laundry because he knows how much I hate it. What absolutely makes my little heart go pitter-pat is when we're working in the yard and he takes over the shoveling so that I won't hurt myself.

Romance isn't something that can be contrived, planned, and ordered on a silver platter. It is something that must be maintained. And it is something that only happens when a couple takes the time to get to know each other. It doesn't matter if you have all your children running about and nagging for your attention or if you're on your second honeymoon. If you are truly invested in this person you chose, even picking out a new toilet can be romantic.

3 comments:

  1. So true, Kelly! I couldn't agree more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The way I see it, romance is as individualized as our fingerprints" -- I LOVE this! And I think it is an accurate statement. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. I tend to go off on tangents and sometimes (not often) worry about offending people.

      Delete