Sunday, June 5, 2011

Why One Egg Short?

Here's the deal: I'm what's called a Third Culture Kid, or TCK. This term applies generically to all people who were raised in one culture, but live in another. I am American, but lived in the Dominican Republic. At home, we were American, spoke English, watched American TV and celebrated American holidays. When I walked out my front door, I was Dominican. I spoke Spanish, drove like a crazy woman, celebrated Dominican holidays, and generally blended in with the population (with the exception of being very obviously a white girl).

So how does that make me one egg short of an omelet? Because I live in dueling cultures. I am Hispanic by osmosis, American by birth. Both places think I'm a bit off my rocker, especially the grand Ole US of A. I look like I belong, but sometimes forget to act like it. My perception of life has been forever altered (or skewed, depending on your point of view).

2 comments:

  1. Ever noticed how those g's in "egg" look like eggs frying in a pan?

    I'm (at least) one note short of a scale. Can we be friends?

    ReplyDelete