Thursday, June 23, 2011

Trust issues

Not many of us lack excess baggage. We all carry these things around that are like anvils around our necks. They weigh us down, age us, make us cranky. What are they? The easy answer is worry or not taking time to relax. I think the easy answer is wrong. Of course those two things wear at us, make us tired. They're just not really the root cause. Trust is the real answer.

I was told today that if I don't quit smoking immediately it's a short trip to inhalers, then oxygen tanks. If I don't lose weight soon I'll end up on blood pressure medication and insulin. I trust the doctor. I trust that he's right. But do I trust in my ability to let go? Can I?

Can I trust my Father's promise that he will hold me up? Do I? I say I do. That's easy to say when my mind is altered into a state of contentment with nicotine. "Of course I do," I say around a mouthful of chocolate. So here begins the test. Not of my Father. He promised. And he always keeps his promises. This test is mine. Will I trust him to carry me through?

3 comments:

  1. I am praying for you. Thank goodness He gives us climbing gear for the mountains He gives us, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that. Mind if I steal it?

    ReplyDelete